Sunday, June 3, 2012

Foundations (Philosophy of Knowledge Series, #1)

Any philosophy must begin by laying a foundation of postulates from which proofs may proceed.

First postulate: I exist.
The sine qua non.  Eons have been spent proving that one's self exists.  Of all the self-evident propositions, none seems more obvious than this.

Second postulate: I perceive.
I able to collect information about things that appear around me.

Third postulate: I imagine
I can create mental concepts ("thoughts") internally and independent of what I perceive.

Fourth postulate: I think
I am able to process and interpret that which I perceive and imagine.

Fifth postulate: I reason.
I am able to combine my thoughts to establish a conclusion, belief or knowledge.


What's with all the "I"s?
Some of you may have noticed that this post is full of "I" statements.  My choice to use the first person is intentional and is not meant to imply "only I", but rather that "I" is the logical starting point for a philosophy of knowledge.

No comments: