Sunday, June 10, 2012

A != ( !A ) (Philosophy of Knowledge Series, #2)

Sixth postulate: True cannot be false.
If something is true, then it's opposite is necessarily false.  A thing and that which is exactly not that thing cannot be the same.

It never ceases to amaze me when I find someone who honestly believes that two contradictory statements can both be true.  Usually, it starts when I express my firmly held belief in Heaven and Hell and the need for a Savior to escape Hell.  Rather than attack my faith in support of their own belief system, they fall back into "Well that's true for you, but not for me."

I could proceed in the discussion if the individual wanted to discuss the "All paths lead to Heaven philosophy." But they sincerely believe that my opinion that, without Christ, they are going to hell and their firmly held belief that they are not going to hell can both be true.

Typically, I try to demonstrate the impossibility of both of these statements to be true by using some sort of simple, mutually exclusive statements, like "It is day" and "It is not day".  The most common type of response I get is these statements both could be true, if the details of the circumstances are slightly different.  I have fought this logic battle so often, that I have come to the realization that people are unwilling to accept basic logic when acceptance puts them on uncomfortable philosophical footing.  Essentially, if one does not want to deal with the issues presented by Christianity, no amount of logic will change that.

I have become so frustrated with the entrenched status of this illogical relativism, that I must resort to the simple statement that a thing and its opposite cannot be the same.

Sixth postulate - Extension: Possible solutions to mutually exclusive statements
An extension of this postulate is that for two statements, a and b where a and be cannot both be true (i.e., mutually exclusive), then there are three possible solutions, thus:
(1) a is true and b is false
(2) a is false and b is true
(3) both a and b are false

No comments: